Community United Methodist Church is located in the center of Washington Terrace which began as a war-housing project built by the federal government to accommodate people who came from all over the country to work at government installations during World War II. On June 6, 1943, with desire and vision, about 100 people in the area met for the first Protestant worship service in Washington Terrace led by a Baptist minister from Idaho representing the Intermountain Conference of Evangelical Churches. This group continued to meet for the next few years in homes and community buildings in the area. The church kept growing under the leadership of the "United Christian Ministry". The Community Church of Washington Terrace was organized on January 16, 1947 with 77 charter members.
In 1951, services were being held in an abandoned recreation building. We began raising funds and took the bold step to purchase 3 acres of property to build a church of our own. After many struggles, the church was built entirely with volunteer labor and completed in 1956. It was a labor of love and a symbol of our faith. The congregation also made the decision to become affiliated with a major denomination to ensure continuity and pastoral support. Pastors from four denominations, Methodist, Baptise, Presbyterian and Congregational presented a forum and the congregation then voted. The Methodist Church won by two votes, and we became Community Methodist Church. In 1983, the name was amended to Community United Methodist Church.
Our church has undergone several building projects over the years to accommodate church growth and the needs of our ministry. In November 1980, we began building a new sanctuary that would hold 300 people and in 1988 completed the three-phase building program to include more classrooms, office space and a fellowship hall. In May 2008, the church purchased property on our west border for additional parking. In January 2011, the church began a construction project to update and enlarge our facility, complete with a large multi-purpose room, a renovated kitchen, new classroom and office space, new restrooms plus a shower area. The entire project was completed in the Spring of 2012 and a dedication of the current facility was held in May 2012.
Many people, places and things are but memories in the history of our church but we will continue to love, worship and serve for years to come
with the same spirit as those early believers.